Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Branding Myself and Initiative

I have started a new quest, a new adventure. This adventure is the branding of myself. I feel like I have much to offer to the world, but if no one knows about it then it will never be valuable and can never help me or anyone else. What I need to find is a plan and some motivation to take initiative. I have been discovering ways to do this and gain the motivation that I need. 

A video by Seth Godin on Failing Until You Succeed has helped me think about things differently, here it is below: 



Some key ideas that Godin touches on are:

- Branding yourself is not a job, it’s an opportunity. You have continuous opportunities to develop projects. The key is failing until you succeed, it’s a game, the more you fail, the more you get to play again.

- We now live in a world where failure is not that bad, you can repost or redesign and have something new.
You can try different actions to see what works. I wonder what happens if I do this?It’s okay with me for you to fail and see what works. Exploring and trying new things.

- Curiosity – How did the business get from beginning to success? How did this person succeed? If you’re not curious you cannot learn. School brainwashes us to not ask, to just accept.

- We are evolutionarily organized, through the amygdale, to believe that when a boss says “you will be fired” you think “I will be fired, not to be hired, become homeless, and die” The resistance is in your head.

- It’s easier today than ever before to start a business.

- No one gives you initiative, you have to take it. The fear of taking initiative is so great, many people will not risk it. We are brainwashed from an early age in school to follow directions, but not to take initiative.

- The guest will come into a restaurant to see a server because of the art, humanity, and connections that they give them. The waitress can explore different ways of speaking and suggesting that will give interaction to the guest and make them want that humanity. You’re out there poking everyday new experiences which will help them in their future.

Once I get a brand going and want to be found in positive ways on search engines, this site could be helpful:


Another thing that I have learned is that people do not trust easily. Publishers will not publish your work unless they know who you are and what you stand for. They need to know that you will not embarrass them. They need to develop a trust in your character. The world is based on people that do not trust easily and you must prove yourself in order to gain their trust. There are strategies you can take to get people to find you interesting and to promote yourself. 

This book is number one on my "books to read" list:
Tim Ferriss - The 4-Hour Chef - Amazon link 

Listening to this interview with Tim Ferriss has gave some insights on how to learn new things: 


- Two of the most difficult things to build are trust and attention, and then keep that. 

- Marketing is identifying exactly who your ideal customer is. Sell to people who are similar to yourself.

The Truth About Social Media - Amazon link
22 Laws for Immutable Marketing - Amazon link

- Writing is thought on paper. I recommend for all people to tighten their thinking to do short writing exercises, with someone to edit, that could pull out all the superfluous information

On Writing Well - Amazon link 
Letters to a Fiction Writer - Amazon link 

- Ben Franklin demonstrated the concept of Amateur - someone who goes into a field without preconceived notions. People are taught they need to specialize like an insect, and therefore they stop exploring. People want to put other people in a box. 

- I wanted to go out into the world and have more experiences and successes. "I didn't want to teach because I couldn't do, I wanted to teach because I had lessons to share."

- Scratch your own itch. Make the product or write the book that you can't find. Follow what bothers you.

- Writers block - write about what makes you angry

- The silent majority will like your stuff, the minority that doesn't will be the loudest.

- The beauty of the internet is that it gives everyone a voice. It gives geniuses a voice, but it also gives the idiots a voice.

- The negative comments are people just projecting what they feel about themselves, misery loves company. 

- Philosophy is an operating system for life, for making decisions about what to do and not to do in life. Stoicism especially Seneca - anger is like acid in a vessel, it damages the vessel more than having acid poured on it. If you allow petty abusive behavior in comments, it leads to other behavior like that. 

- It's not how long you live, it's how well you live. It's a combination of achievement and appreciation. If you don't appreciate what you have now, nothing you ever get will make you satisfied and happy. Schedule in gratitude and appreciation for what you have.

- It's important to have some level of gratitude so you can act from a calm, analytical place as opposed to a state of rushing.

1. Do a gratitude list - 3 things you are grateful for 
2. Scheduling an 80/20 analysis - 80 percent of activities that people do to produce the results and positive emotional states in my life, 20 percent of activities that people do to produce negative feelings. How much time is the negative feelings taking up? Change what needs to be. 
3. Fearsetting - Defining your fears specifically. Write what will happen if these fears came to be. Write how you will get back to where you are if they were to happen. 

- Most actions have very low risk. Risk is the potential for an irreversible outcome.

- I look for people who are accustomed to failure, can prove their resilience. Whether its a sport, a start up, or other. Another thing I look for is personality, wanting to interact with that person. The third would be knowledge of basic understanding of work, defining problems and solving. 


Another website I stumbled across in this adventure is a funding platform for creative projects called Kickstarter. It seems to be a great starting place for young entrepreneurs to develop creative projects and support others.



No comments:

Post a Comment